Coming soon

Coming soon...Burma, French Polynesia and others...

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Trip date: April 2009

Day 1: 

Ever since I was a child I dreamed about visiting Rio, and now here I am! But my ability to feel happy is hampered by the fact that I am feeling really sick. I picked up a nasty bug in Buenos Aires, and, while my fever is gone, I am still suffering from a horrible throat infection. I never even knew that a throat could hurt this much! I am in agony, sobbing like a baby. 

My worried husband and daughter convince me to call a doctor to the hotel. He is very nice and explains that there is something nasty going around. People have been complaining to him about the worst throat aches of their lives. Yep, that's me. He prescribes some antibiotics and pain-killers and tells me I should feel better in two days. But we only have two days in Rio!

I am determined not to let some bacteria destroy my vacation, but I am also a realist. What this means is, we will just have to focus on the top must-see sights of the city. Hopefully we will be able to come back one day and see the rest.

Luckily I don't even need to leave the hotel to see something amazing. The view from here is absolutely magnificent.  
View from the hotel terrace
Day 2:

We have decided that I can only handle one sight per day, so we head straight for the most famous one, the huge statue of Jesus Christ. If I can believe Wikipedia, it is 39.6 meters (130 feet) tall, is the largest Art Deco statue and 5th largest Jesus statue in the world. It also stands on top of a high hill, so the view from there is legendary. I am so glad there are escalators to take us to the top!
The statue of Jesus Christ over Rio de Janeiro
The statue of Jesus Christ over Rio de Janeiro
It's very crowded here, so it's difficult to take a decent picture of the statue. But the view! It's absolutely amazing! We are surprised to see hang gliders circling at our eye-level. This just seems awfully high to me, but I guess they know what they are doing.
View from the Jesus statue
View from the Jesus statue
Hang gliders over Rio
Hang gliders over Rio
View of Sugarloaf mountain from the Jesus statue
It's back to the hotel. Because of the medications I am feeling a bit better now, so it's time for my first solid food in two days. I guess I am feeling too cocky, because I am going to have something else also. I am determined that I cannot leave Brazil without having caipirinha, their national cocktail, at least once. In my stubbornness I decide that this is as good a time as any. How stupid of me! With the lime juice touching my throat I might have as well swallowed a flame thrower.

It's nap time for the rest of the day. On the way to dinner we run into an American couple we met during check-in. The wife tells us how she is having the worst throat-ache of her life.

Day 3:

Beach day! Beach, as in: COPACABANA! 

Of course, for some of us on antibiotics it's more of a "sitting on the beach, watching other people have fun" day. But oh well. It is still the Copacabana, possibly the most famous beach in the world.  
On the way to the Copacabana
When we get there, there are two fighter jets flying over the beach. Yes, fighter jets. It's pretty obvious that the pilots are showing off for the benefit of the beach-goers, and it's fun to watch. The beach is huge and lively and my husband and daughter get to enjoy the waves thoroughly. We have lunch in one of the outdoor restaurants across Atlantic Avenue, then return to the beach and hang out there for the rest of the day.
Copacabana
Sand castle at Copacabana
Beach volleyball at Copacabana, Sugarloaf mountain in the background
Copacabana promenade and Atlantic Avenue
View of Sugarloaf mountain from Atlantic Avenue
Fruit for sale at Copacabana
Copacabana dress code
Day 4:

We are leaving with the feeling that we haven't seen enough. But, considering the circumstances, we have done our best, and I would very happily come back one day, so I guess it's OK. We will just do everything else next time. Like taking the cable car up to the Sugarloaf mountain.

By the time we fly home I am feeling much better. My husband, on the other hand, is in agony....

No comments:

Post a Comment